Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Simplest Things, Weekly Edition

"I find relaxation, enjoyment, and healing in the simplest things in life. "
This week I thought I would focus on the simplest things at my job. I teach adult ESL (English as a Second Language) at a community college two evenings a week. This week was the last week in our quad and it is customary in our program to celebrate on the last evening of class.

~I don't know if it is because the spring and summer quads were so difficult for me physically that I enjoyed this quad so much, but I did. We used a new curriculum for the first time that my students and I both like a lot and rather than 30 students I had about 12 which made grading and getting to know my students personally, so much easier.

~My students brought homemade food for the party! We had Tinga and Picadillio on tostadas. I skipped the sour cream and cheese but enjoyed topping off the tostada with homemade spicy salsa and shredded lettuce.

~One student asked me if I liked soda since I was drinking my water. I said, "No, I don't drink soda." My student came back with, "All white people like soda. They even drink it for breakfast." Another student came over to show his agreement in this thought. It's funny the sterotypes others form about us, isn't it?

~We played games such as Chess, Pick up Sticks, Jenga and Uno. I was in the group playing
Uno - in Spanish! I don't speak Spanish but I was able to play Uno without any problem since I do know my colors and numbers. Best part is, I won!

~My students told me they "love" my class and I am "an excellent teacher". They asked if I would move up to the next level with them. I have done this is the past, but this was my first quad of teaching this level and I really want to use my materials again. However, it feels good to be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like your job so much!! Where did they get the thing about "all white people drinking soda"???? I've never heard anything like that before. It is strange the ideas we get in our heads about other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soda comment too! My mom is from the South. We grew up drinking soda for breakfast. Now, I only buy it when I am at a fast food restaurant as a 'treat.' I much prefer water myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of drinking soda every day, but never for breakfast. That is a coffee time of day.

    ReplyDelete