Sunday, January 18, 2009

Resist the Starbucks Mocha!

Before eliminating dairy and coffee from my diet four years ago, I used to love drinking a Starbucks mocha. Steve even made them for me at home using our Starbucks espresso machine. After eliminating both coffee and dairy for a while, my body had the strength to tell me that it prefers not to consume either of these by giving me an upset stomach when I am a bad girl and consume either. Knowing it will only give me an upset stomach and I will regret it afterwards, I am still craving a Starbucks mocha. The other day when I took Alexander in to buy a gift card for his dad's birthday, I was almost tempted to buy a mocha, but resisted and came home and made a cup of tea. Yesterday the craving was still there but again I resisted and had a hot cup of chocolate almond milk instead. This morning, Alexander and Steve came home from Starbucks with a cup of coffee for Steve and a hot chocolate for Alexander. The smells are killing me.

People are often surprised to learn that coffee was the most difficult for me to eliminate from my diet. Gluten, dairy, tomatoes, etc were all easier. Coffee draws me in with it's aroma and tricks me into believing it will give me a feeling of warmth and togetherness as it has been something I have shared with my family since I was a little girl. The reality is I will end up with a nauseated stomach. So, I will keep on drinking my tea this morning and hope this craving passes soon.