Wednesday, October 7, 2009

People Are Nice

People really are nice. Yesterday I had two examples of people's niceness that made me feel good inside.

First, I entered my classroom at 8:30am greeted by a reusable cloth bag filled with a cup of tea and two apple pies from McDonald's. One of my students wanted to do something special for me. It was so sweet, especially since she remembered I drink tea and not coffee. One part of me felt this overwhelming feeling of graciousness to Marina for thinking about me on this cold morning and another part of me went into a complete panic - I couldn't eat anything she brought. Not only have we boycotted McDonald's for years but this did not fit into my diet at all and I have done so well sticking to only the foods on my list. I knew I couldn't eat it but needed to make it look as if I was. I gave Marina a big hug and let her know that I appreciated her thinking of me. The good feeling I felt yesterday that someone took the time to think of me stayed with me all day yesterday and is still with me today.

Second, last night at work our students had to fill out evaluations of their teachers so I switched classrooms with another teacher to do the evaluations. On my way out a young gal asked me if I color my hair. At first I thought, "Okay, here comes the comment about the gray highlights." But as we talked more I could tell she genuinely liked the color of my hair. Wow! I left her classroom and headed to break. While in the restroom I looked at myself and thought, "Your hair does look pretty good." As many of you know I stopped coloring my hair a while back and have been very pleased with the results!