Monday, March 8, 2010

Unschooling and Math

In Alexander's math book he has been doing a lot with decimals and rounding. Since I am at the end of a quad and need to prepare grades for my students, I had him sit down with me and figure out student averages. He LOVED it! When he was finished he wanted to do more. He was very careful, double checking his work and asking questions along the way. One thing I have noticed about him as he is working in a math book for the first time is that he needs to know that what he is learning is something he will really use in life and if it isn't, there are too many other wonderful things in life to learn about. We often find ourselves agreeing to skip review problems that were mastered quickly or really won't be used often enough to spend additional time on. But averaging grades with me was a way to see how math is used in the world. He can see the purpose in learning how to average and immediately started thinking through all the other things that could be averaged. I love it!