Monday, June 14, 2010

Prednisone

Yesterday afternoon I was cleaning the kitchen and realized I had forgotten to take my dose of Prednisone. Oops. I have been down to 5mg and figured next week if all was going well, I would eliminate it anyhow, but since I was feeling good and didn't seem to miss the dose, I decided to make yesterday the day. Generally when I reduce Prednisone, I have flu like symptoms for a day or two with joints that are stiff. After a short nap yesterday, that is how I felt and I was a little nervous about what today would bring. But guess what? I woke up feeling less stiff than my new normal and full of energy!!!

What is weird about suddenly feeling well day after day is that it doesn't seem normal anymore. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to not have pain and stiffness and feel like I am trying out someone else's body. I like it, but I keep finding myself thinking, "IF I feel good tomorrow." I guess at this point it is natural to not let your brain feel disappointed if things turn around.

I did make a decision the other night that I wish I hadn't made. One of my goals is to be able to sit on the floor with ease. I love sitting on the floor. I tried it and it didn't turn out like I imagined in my mind and instantly felt disappointed. This is what I need to avoid. With this turn in feeling good I want to take things slowly and do only what my body feels it is ready for and rejoice in that instead of trying to rush and do everything at once. I am learning. Slowly, but surely I am learning.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely know that feeling...hesitant optimism. I have a huge tendency to over-exert myself on "good days" and then pay for it the next day. It's a hard balance for people like us with so many plates in the air. But it sounds like you can just relax and enjoy the relief. I am sooo glad to hear you're in a groove like this. You deserve every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you stay feeling better! I like to sit on the floor to, but I'm getting to old and stiff for that anymore myself. Enjoy your good days and hopefully they will out weigh the bad ones again soon.

    Love you!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I am going to spend the rest of my life finding a way to avoid Prednisone. My ortho guy told me it cost me my second hip and if I continue the knees are next. Now I'm having to take blood thinners for two more weeks so no arthritis drugs are allowed. I am so stiff and can't knit so I'm going to have to suffer and get through this somehow. I am glad you are feeling better...ciao

    ReplyDelete