Friday, February 11, 2011

Eggs

I buy 14 dozen eggs once a month when I pick up my order from the farmer we have been using for about eight years now.  Pick up is on Monday and we are out of eggs.  I made a quick trip to Whole Foods yesterday to buy a dozen until Monday.  As I looked through the selection of eggs, I noticed the poster above and felt nauseous.  My immediate thoughts were, "How sad that we have to be told that the hens have continuous access to food and water because that means a large number are not.  Also, they 'may' engage in natural behaviors like walking, nesting, and spreading their wings?  That truly makes me sad. What about sunlight?"  I am guessing since it isn't mentioned that they don't have access to sunlight.  I just couldn't purchase the eggs.  I have seen lots of information about how chickens are maintained which is one of the many reasons we purchase from farmers we know and trust, but seeing this notice just left me feeling sad for the animals that "may" not ever experience simple things like walking, nesting or even spreading their wings.  It just isn't right.  I feel like there are a lot of places my money can go, but good quality food is a number one place for me.