Friday, September 9, 2011

Coping with the Loss of My Dad: Love, Memories and Strength

My 15 year old son completed his driver's education class a few weeks ago.   He and I have been out doing a lot of driving together.  I enjoy this time together and I am doing a good job.  I keep calm and give him ownership of the car.  Many times as I sit in the passenger seat, I feel like my dad has settled in next to me and is guiding me on how to teach my son to drive.  I say things like, "Switch lanes when you feel it is safe," or "Turn left after you make a complete stop."  I remember my dad gently giving me the same commands as he took me out for my own driving lessons at 13-14 years old.  I feel my dad sitting with me while we drive and I want so badly to go home and give him a call so we can share stories.  However, my dad is no longer there for me to call and share stories with.  My dad passed away in April.  He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2007. 

To read more, please visit my contributing post at MyRACentral.

4 comments:

  1. They are always with because their memories live within us. It is with moments that we care reminded that they still so much a part of our lives. If it helps, it does get easier. You never really stop missing them but you learn to accept and better cope with their loss. It has been nearly nine months since we lost my brother and not a day goes by that I don’t think about him. However, I have learned to find closure in the most wonderful parts of my life. I may never understand why he was taken away from us but I have learned that some things just don’t have answers. Your father is with you in spirit and he will continue to be for all your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father died 36 years ago, and I still have moments like this, where something triggers a memory, bringing both joy and tears.

    I'm so sorry for your loss, and so glad you have the wonderful memories to give you strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I am holding you in my arms and hugging you gently. Yesterday to many was 91011 or the day before 911. To me, it was my moms 73rd birthday. However, she died last February of breast cancer. I want to call her all the time! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lana, Susan and Ranny - Thanks so much for sharing. We are so lucky to have had these wonderful people in our lives.

    ReplyDelete