Thursday, December 29, 2011

From Bland to A Rainbow of Color

Twenty four years ago my soon to be father-in-law met me at JCPenney, where I was employed, during my 15 minute break.  He asked me to help him pick out dinnerware that he was giving as a Christmas gift to my brother-in-law and his wife.  I remember thinking they didn't have a lot of color in their house and decided to go with the most bland dinnerware I could find to be on the safe side. 


Well, guess what I got for Christmas that year?  Yep, the bland plates.  They are simple and pretty, but they have never been what I wanted for me.  However, I loved the intention that my father-in-law put into the gift and went ahead and added this set to my bridal registry.

Over the years I have enjoyed the plates for a few reasons.  1) They have held up well over 24 years. 2) They have always reminded me of the loving heart my father-in-law has for me.  But, each time that one of the kids or I would drop one I always said, "No worries.  This just means we are one step closer to new plates."

Well, that day has finally arrived.  For Christmas Steve bought me a few pieces and I added on with some money we received so that I now have lots of beautiful colors!


Blue, red, purple, orange, and green!

Aren't they beautiful?  I just love all the colors.  We don't have a complete set yet, but it will be fun to keep adding on and enjoying the rainbow of colors that these new plates bring to our meals.