Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rheumatoid Arthritis Update

Now that I have been on Methotrexate eight weeks, I went in for my required blood tests last week. I truly haven't missed having my blood drawn the last two years of being off meds. The nurse called Wednesday to let me know my liver panels look great but my inflammation rates are still pretty high. I see the rheumatologist next week. The nurse said she will want to discuss increasing Methotrexate and probably adding on another medication.

I am not surprised at the results. Honestly, I told my husband after having the tests run that I expected them to be high. I have definitely been feeling better overall and enjoying some of the things I haven't been able to do in a while, but there is still an overall pain and the last few weeks it has been intensifying again. Plus, I can't get the swelling in my fingers and right knuckle to go down. And I continue to get cysts (not nodules, although I do have one of those, around my wrists and ankles. My PCP said it is fluid from too much inflammation. Not attractive at all.)

I am not sure how I feel about increasing and adding on meds. My mind changes everyday. Overall, I feel tired of worrying about it. I have made a list of concerns I have with increasing Methotrexate such as continued hair shedding and nausea. I emailed my naturopath yesterday and she said she doesn't recommend medications very often but she feels in my case I need them and she will help with controlling side effects.

This weekend, I am going to let it go and just enjoy a relaxing weekend with my family. Until I hear exactly what the rheumatologist wants to do, I am really just wasting my time worrying. Plus, I am seriously getting tired of hearing myself talk about RA. I will update everyone on Thursday.