Friday, August 20, 2010

My Protector

Last month when the nurse was sent out to help me with my first Enbrel shot, I asked Alexander, 14, if he would sit with me while she went over the instructions. He tends to remember details a lot better than me. He was happy to do it and as always listened attentively.

Yesterday was week four of my Enbrel shots. Each week as I prepare myself for the shot, I think, "This week Alexander will probably decide that I have it down now and won't feel the need to help me." But, each week he heads up with me and reminds me to first take off the cap and make sure there isn't anything weird floating in the liquid. Then he reminds me that I have to push down before the injection will work. As soon as we hear the "click" that the shot is complete, he takes the syringe and places it in the waste container box for me while I clean up.

This has been my experience with rheumatoid arthritis since the beginning. Alexander was almost eight when I was first diagnosed and quickly took on the job as my protector. He has always been on the lookout to make sure I am safe and life is as easy as possible for me. When he was old enough to stay home alone he still wanted to go to my rheumatalogist appointments with me in case I cried. He goes shopping with me all the time so that I don't have to lift the bags alone. When it is time to leave our homeschool group on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, he is by my side ready to take the lunch bags from me. When things got bad this year and I had to stop walking Izzy, he had no problem taking over that job as well as many others around the house. He has always been on the look out to protect me from any additional pain. He even has a list of my medications stored in his phone in case of an emergency.I don't know if this is a trait of most boys with their mothers but what I do know is I am one lucky momma to be watched over by Alexander! His physical help as well as his constant calm personality provide me with so much.

*Side effects: After Enbrel injections I get a light headache and my hips hurt. Anyone else? Also, last week a rash developed around the injection site. But the weirdest thing is that for several nights after taking Enbrel, I have very vivid dreams that last the entire night. I wake up tired because I was so busy dreaming. Does this happen to anyone else? These sound minor in comparison to how great I am feeling, but just thought I would mention it and see if anyone else experiences the weird dreams.