Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Updating From a Little Girl to a Teen

The color is called "high drama". 
I hope that is not an  indication
 of how we will spend the teen years.
Sophia will turn 13 on Thursday!  For her birthday this year, she asked if we could update her bedroom that was painted pink and green when she was five years old to something that reflects who she is now.  Over the weekend she and I, with a little help from Alexander and Steve with the very manly things, painted her bedroom.  It was so fun!  She always tends to amaze me with how focused and determined she can be.  She wanted to do a nice job and kept a watchful eye out for me that I played my part in doing a good job too. 

We completed three walls in red and one wall in white with black trim yesterday evening.  Everything is in place and it is exactly what she wanted.  Yay!  She described her room as "a little bit hippy and a little bit modern."  I loved that this birthday gift was one that she and I could share together.  As she develops her own distinct thoughts and opinions, we do tend to butt heads at times, but in the end we always seem to enjoy each other's company.  I am glad that at 13 she still values my opinion and WANTS me to share in these experiences because they definitely leave my heart feeling happy.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! (And what a great birthday present.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy big 13!! They grow up sooo fast. My youngest just turned 20 in May. I hope you continue to share these times as they become more and more precious as time flies by. And don't forget to document it all with pictures. My daughter and I often look back on our older shared experiences through our pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, 13.. such a strange age. it's so good that you two are so close, she sounds like a great girl. glad you had a good birthday together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. Happy Birthday to her!

    I just had my birthday recently, and my husband's is next week. I find birthday's fun, event as adults.. mostly because of our daughter's excitement for them. She was thrilled that it was my birthday the other week, and now she's gearing up for her dads.

    Sophie is really practical, and I find this so funny because one thing she wanted to get her dad for his birthday is a pack of new socks... because he's due for some, since most have holes!

    ReplyDelete