Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence from Rheumatoid Arthritis

Last year at the end of July, I began my journey of using biologics.  Getting to the point of accepting biologics in my life was not an easy one.  In fact, I fought the use of biologics for years.  I wanted to be able to work through my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms without the use of medications.  I stopped taking my Methotrexate and Plaquenil and went on a two year strike from all medications.  It was a hard fight and in the end, I had to surrender.  It broke my heart giving in to the medications and the fact that they would once again own my body, but I came to a point that I couldn't fight any longer.  To read more, visit MyRACentral.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    What a great article. I'm so happy for your triumphs and how you recognize this gift you've been given. I love the thanking the Enbrel phrase!


    TWRA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only been diagnosed for a year & I think about stopping my meds on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,
    Just like you, I am grateful that I can lead a normal life with the help of medication. I was diagnosed with RA two years ago, and have been on MTX monotherapy ever since. I no longer have to crawl out of bed in the morning and walk down the stairs sideways, one step at a time, because my heels and toes hurt so much. I am mostly pain-free, and do not experience any negative side-effects from MTX. There is no way that I would miss a single dose!
    Best wishes,
    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been a fan of your blog for a while, I know what a struggle it was for you to accept medications. The freedom from pain and stiffness has truly been a blessing and it's been wonderful to see you expand your horizons once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i haven't read much of your blog, in large part because i have such a different mind set about drugs. i love them. i'm glad they are working for you, but sorry it didn't happen exactly the way you want. i guess RA has a way of making us all just do what we need to get by! thanks for the comments on my blog, BTW!!

    ReplyDelete