Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Why go natural?

Many may wonder why I have decided to go back to my natural hair color. Well, here are a few good reasons:

1. The skin is considered our largest organ. So, all kinds of things can be absorbed into your skin and then your body. I once heard good advice on skin products (moisturizers, makeup, shampoo, etc.). "If you can't read it, don't eat it. If you can't eat it, don't wear it."

2. My children. I have always taught my children to "listen to their bodies". If something was telling them it isn't right, then listen. I want to be a role model and follow this same advice. Putting chemicals on my body doesn't feel right. Also, I want my children to believe that aging is a beautiful process and not one to be fearful of. All the changes that are seen on our body show the world our life experiences and accomplishments. Crow's feet are really just a sign that we laughed a lot, stretch marks that we were fortunate enough to bring life into this world, and gray hairs show the wisdom we have accumulated through our life journeys.

3. Appreciation for who I have become. The other day I watched three beautiful teenagers at the pool. Their bodies were perfectly free of fat, wrinkles, cellulite, age spots, etc. Their bodies were about as perfect as they will ever be. However, I saw an insecurity in them that I don't see in middle aged and older women. They don't yet feel comfortable in their own skins. As we age, we may not be happy with what has become of our bodies, but I think we learn to know our bodies and when I see women my age and older, I see a feeling of comfort they have found with their own body. I like that.

4. Friends. I have several friends who have chose to keep their natural hair color - grays and all! They are so beautiful.

5. Reading. I read four good articles that really helped motivate me to make this choice.
http://www.more.com/style/hair/gray-hair/
http://www.more.com/sex-dating/dating/gray-haired-woman-dating/
http://www.slate.com/id/2147054/
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/05/24/can-hair-dyes-give-you-cancer.aspx

6. Lastly, the expense. I am getting tired of forking over $50 every eight weeks to cover up who I really am.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it weird how when we have a really cute and perfect body we never think it's good enough, but as you age it's not such a big deal.? I remember loving how Grandma had age spots on her hands. I don't know why, but they just seemed beautiful to me!

    ReplyDelete