Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What Am I Thinking?

This is how I felt yesterday:Why is it that one day you can feel completely beautiful and sure of your decision to go back to your natural hair color and then you see a photo of yourself and all of that changes?

Steve wonderfully responded to my insecurities with, "I think you look good! I think you look pretty and healthy. Your hair looks good to me. I am not sure what you are seeing that looks bad."

I also read this beautiful poem that brought tears to my eyes but again makes me feel strong in my decision to be "the real me behind meds and hair coloring".

Aging
by Sharon R. Poet

I stood in the line where every body goes,
To fix the aging form of skin, hair or nose.
But strong as stone,
I stood as I studied my reflection,
And found these words,
I felt, in my body’s deep rejection,
“Each crevice built for tears - these wrinkles on my face,
Are proof of precious years that NOTHING can erase.
In the grey of my fine hair, I sometimes see a glow.
Please handle it with care and let the magic show.
The sparkle in my eyes grows brighter every day.
Please don’t cover it up. Don’t take that away.
Every blemish, bump or sag, in the eyes of the weak,
May make me a hag.
But HEAR these words I speak.
I want to remain human - the Truest kind of all.
Don’t stretch, tweak or fix me. I don’t want to be a doll.
I may not fit in, because of how I feel.
But I don’t want to change.
So, let me just be REAL.”