Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Finding Our Inner Strength

A friend of my mine is going through a rough patch in life right now. While listening to her, I realized she hasn't figured out yet how strong she is. She is in the beginning of what is a painful, life changing experience for her and right now she feels weak and insecure. Although I hate to watch her go through this experience, I am excited to see her grow and blossom into a person that sees her own strength. I see it. I know it is there.

I think with any challenge that life throws us, we are taken back at first and feel vulnerable. I know I felt that way when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I felt like it was going to gulp me up and spit me out without any say from me. But, each year that has gone by, I have found a stronger sense of myself. I look back to when I was first diagnosed and I would hyperventilate just reading about rheumatoid arthritis. Today, I feel proud of where I am.

I believe that the strength I have gained from my experiences with rheumatoid arthritis will make the next challenge in my life that much easier because I will know it is a process. I will know that deep within myself is a strength stronger than the world or myself knows about. I am looking forward to seeing my friend find that inner strength although I wish she didn't have to go through the tough spots in between. But, our strength can't be given to us. We have to find it for ourselves.