Monday, August 10, 2009

My Thoughts Are My Best Friend

I think of my thoughts as my best friends. ~Louise Hay Daily Affirmation

Wow! My thoughts are my best friends. I love thinking of my thoughts this way. It helps remind me that I need to be kind to them and treat them with respect.

Right now the thoughts going through my mind are about the beautiful day I had with my daughter yesterday. We were left home alone for the day without a car. Since it was so hot we decided to go swimming. Once again, I was in the pool swimming without any tightening of joints! My daughter said, "Why is it always fun when you are in the pool with us?" (Huge grin) We swam for a longer period of time than we planned because we were having so much fun. Afterwards we rode our bikes over for take-out food and watched a movie together before the boys came home.

There are days unlike yesterday when life gets in the way of treating my thoughts as my best friend. About six months ago my chiropractor recommended using Rescue Remedy anytime I had a negative thought. He said, "You will be going through a lot so stock up." I couldn't imagine that to be true since I consider myself a fairly positive person. But, he was right! So many times during the day I found myself thinking, "This is never going to go away." or "I hate when this happens." or "This person makes me so mad." When I took the Rescue remedy, I found myself taking a deep breath and rethinking the thought. When I turned the thought around to something positive, I could feel the tension leaving my body. I know for a fact that when I am under stress, it affects my rheumatoid arthritis so learning to control negative situations is vital.

I have a feeling that I will always need to remind myself to turn my thoughts away from being my enemy to being my best friend, but it does get easier the more I concentrate on it and especially when I have great days that I can spend with the people I love! It seems that the more you put yourself in positive situations, the easier it is to think positive thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I approach living with rheumatoid arthritis from multiple fronts, but if I were asked which *one* thing has helped me the most, it would be no contest. Above and beyond my meds, my physical therapy, my dietary changes, has been the power of positive thinking - turning negative thoughts into positive thoughts.

    I continue to find that once I do this, it is just a little be easier to move through the many challenges that this illness continues to present on a day to day basis.

    I am glad to hear that you and Sophia had a great day yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wise sister! It's all in the attitude!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete