Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gluten Free and Very Yummy Sweet Potato and Cranberry Loaf

Sweet Potato and Cranberry Loaf
Recipe comes from The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods by Bette Hagman

I have been experimenting with teff flour and really like it. It gives baked goods a wheat like texture. This bread is super moist and yummy. I did make some substitutions which I added beside each ingredient listed by Bette Hagman. Enjoy!

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup Featherlight Mix*
1 cup teff flour (dark is excellent)
2 scant teaspoons xanthan gum
¾ cup sugar
1 rounded teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)

Wet Ingredients
1 cup sweet potatoes, mashed (I used canned pumpkin)
1 cup whole cranberry sauce
3 slightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used coconut milk)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9” X 5” loaf pan and dust with rice flour.

In a large mixing bowl, whish together the dry ingredients. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. Add the beaten eggs and oil. Blend well, beating with the buttermilk. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients, beating just until blended. Fold in the pecans (if used)

Spoon the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, then test for doneness. If the tester does not come out clean, bake for an additional 8 minutes or so. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely. Cool before slicing. The flavor is best if the loaf is allowed to cool for several hours or overnight. Makes 18 servings. (We must eat huge pieces because it didn't make 18 servings for us!)

Nutrients per slice: Calories 190, Fat 5g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium200mg, Carbs 33g, Protein 3g, Fiber 2 g.

*Featherlight Recipe – Rice flour (1 part) Tapioca flour (1 part) Cornstarch (1 part) Potato Flour (1 teaspoon per cup)
I replace the tapioca flour with quinoa flour in this recipe. In fact, I use quinoa in almost all of our baking. I feel it is more nutritious than some of the other gf flours and we love the taste. If you are new to quinoa flour, add it slowly as it does have a distinct taste that some people don't enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't tried teff yet, but this makes me want to. As soon as I use up some of the other stuff I have. I think I am going to do a blog "pantry challenge", where all you have to do is post a picture of your pantry. mine is hideously full right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pantry Challenge" sounds like a fun idea. I think a full pantry is one of the best feelings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just organized my pantry and it's my favorite place in the house for the moment anyway...
    Thanks for sharing your gf success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you finding that eating gluten free helps your RA?

    I've been gluten free since April and I think it's helping...some anyway. Enough that I'm willing to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! I may have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete