Sunday, August 30, 2009

Positive Thinking is Back!

Those positive thoughts can't stay hidden for long!!! I am motivated again and ready for the next challenge. Rheumatoid arthritis is not going to keep me down.

I have spent the last few days reading about the Body Ecology Diet. I am not yet sure that it is right for me, but overall it is a diet I believe in and feel may help my digestion, liver and dampness issues which in turn would help with the inflamed joints. Plus, over the last few years this diet has come up more than once with various people and in different reading I have done which makes me think there is a reason for that and I shouldn't ignore it.

When I was originally diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis I was beginning to follow many of the principles of Weston A Price and the recipes from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon which are based on traditional diets. When I needed to do an elimination diet, I put everything else on hold and never got back to the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. The Body Ecology Diet follows many of the same basic beliefs but fits in a little better with what I am currently doing with my diet - it is not vegetarian, it doesn't contain soy, it relies heavily on fermented foods which balances out our insides, it reduces sugar, and the grains used are gluten free. Plus, the diet focuses on positive visualization for good health. I like that! It does involve work though which I am not sure I am up to as I have added several things to my daily schedule already. But the work involves preparing fermented veggies which I know my body needs.

I will keep reading and see what I think. It may be for me and it may not. What I do know is that my body has the ability to heal and I have noticed that each flare-up lasts just a little bit less time than the last one which is my proof that my body is getting stronger. I am on the right path with what I am doing, but that doesn't mean I can't keep searching for the lucky ticket that finally takes care of this disease once and for all.

7 comments:

  1. I am a big believer in the idea that we do not eat enough fermented foods. I have drastically increased the amount of fermented foods that we eat. I even make fermented drinks. If you need a kombucha mother let me know. I have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, I am almost afraid to take another kombucha mother - I think I have already killed two in my lifetime. But, maybe now is the time and I will be more committed to it. I LOVE kombucha! I will let you know. Also, I may be needing some good fermented recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one to jump on a diet bandwagon but I have to say that I agree with a lot of Weston Price's thoughts, as well as those of Bruce Fife and Fran McCullough, especially when it comes to their thoughts on fats. I've only read a little about fermented foods, and I'm next in line to get Nourishing Traditions from the library (as you can imagine, that book stays out for long periods of time).

    Please keep us posted on the changes you make, if any, in your diet and what kind of differences it makes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I've got something new to look up. I'm not sure what fermented foods are but I'm always up for learning something.

    Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie,
    Let me know what you think about Nourishing Traditions. The first time I read it I found it overwhelming. The next time, I loved it. There is so much information packed into the book.

    I will keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with the whole post !!! you have done an amazing job by sharing this wonderful post with your readers!!! it inspires a lot !!!!! ,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the good work !!! this is amazing !!! i will keep visiting this website !!!

    ReplyDelete