Wednesday, September 30, 2009

We All Carry a Doctor Within Us

"The witch doctor succeeds for the same reason all the rest of us succeed. Each patient carries his own doctor inside himself or herself. They come to us not knowing that cure. We are at our best when we give the doctor who resides within each patient a chance to go to work. " ~Albert Schweitzer, M.D.
When I was seeing a naturopath regularly about four years ago, I left each and every appointment with a feeling that not only would my body heal but that I was the one responsible for making that happen. She supplied me with her knowledge but left much of the work to me. By doing this, I felt strong in my fight against rheumatoid arthritis. Also, I made the greatest leaps in my recovery that I have ever made. In the last few years, I think I have allowed myself to fall into a mode of half believing that I carry that doctor inside myself.  However, recently, I have been rediscovering that belief again and I really like it. It makes me feel strong and free.

As I enter week four of the Body Ecology Diet, I am slowly seeing changes in myself physically and mentally. I am enjoying foods that are nourishing my body and replenishing missing vitamins and minerals. Daily I am preparing foods that are not only healing a digestive tract that has suffered for some time but also healing my joints and who knows what else. I am eating fermented foods that put good bacteria into my body that will help protect me from future illnesses. I am treating my body as a whole realizing that each system works together and for one to work correctly, they all have to work correctly. By listening to the doctor within myself, I was drawn to a diet that is working towards not just the immediate release of pain in my joints but an overall healthy body that will be able to enjoy the things in life I most enjoy for some time.

I am rediscovering that as I listen to the doctor within myself I feel more in tune with who I am and what I want to accomplish. I feel my spirit becoming more aligned with its true self. I like trusting the doctor within myself. It feels right.

3 comments:

  1. I've got a question for you. When I was reading about this I noticed that it isn't gluten free. Are you still doing that or does that change with this diet, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Body Ecology Diet is gluten free. In stage 1 Donna Gates even reduces the gluten free grains to amaranth, millet, quinoa and buckwheat. She mentions several times in the book that she hopes people who have tried the diet and work their way up never return to a diet of wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to read the new research about the placebo effect and realize that even allopathic medicine acknowledges the doctor within. Enjoy the Body Ecology Diet! I've done it with success for my RA. I love your blog as I am all about natural solutions. One thing that's been a great help for me is the ChiliPad - a mattress pad that lets you cool down (or heat up) your bed, mine lets me set any temperature between 46 and 118 degrees. It's been great for days when the weather and my joints don't agree. I think that a lot of arthritic people could benefit from it. They even make ones with two difference zones so two people can set different temperatures in the same bed. It's really well thought out - the unit that changes the temp. is under the bed - the only thing running through the mattress pad is water - no electromagnetic fields like there was with electric blankets.

    ReplyDelete