Thursday, August 5, 2010

Calm and Relaxed

My sister Stacey left on Sunday morning. It was difficult for me to motivate myself to get out and walk Izzy by myself after 11 days of having a human walking partner. Her visit was wonderful and exactly what I needed in a vacation at home. We talked about my rheumatoid arthritis, but it wasn't the main topic of conversation as it often is when we get together on the telephone or in person. Why? One reason is overall I feel better. Second reason and most importantly to me is that after six and a half years of feeling uneasy about having rheumatoid arthritis and especially about the treatments available, I feel calm. I feel like I have explored a lot of different avenues and although there are tons more to explore, I have worked hard and now it is time to relax and not worry so much. Having finally come to this point with RA I didn't feel the need to talk nonstop about my feelings, fears, or next brilliant idea of calming my body. I feel calm and comfortable.

Highlights of our visit together:

I am absolutely in love with my two nephews.

Levi, 9, wearing the duct tape hat Alexander made for his birthday. Levi loved the idea of duct tape art and made purses for Stacey, Sophia and I, pen holders for Steve and David and a wizard hat for Alexander. I love how excited kids get about learning new things.

Leo, almost 7, at Legoland. Stacey and family did this one on their own.

After my appointment with the rheumatologist, Steve and I met Stacey, David, Leo, Levi, Alexander and Sophia in Chicago. They spent the day at John Hancock and The Cheesecake Factory with my nephew Joe.


Together we all took a sunset boat tour. It has been years since we have taken this ride and it was gorgeous.



The boys spent lots of time laughing and bonding while playing XBOX.


We went to the Taste of Lincoln Park since the beaches were closed after heavy rainfall.


We visited Starved Rock State Park for the first time.




Of course we had to take Izzy. She had a great time! She came home and was ready to play ball. She doesn't tire easily.


Also, thanks to my mom who sent the olive green fondue pot we grew up with (full of chocolate!) to enjoy after a long day. So many happy memories were enjoyed around it growing up and were shared at my home last week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - you and your sister look so alike! (And Izzy is adorable)

    I'm glad you had such a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a fun week! I didn't realise you lived in Chicago, that picture from the water at night is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific week you had, Cathy! Loved all the photos and seeing all those happy faces, yours most of all. I'm so pleased that you've reached a place of calm in regard to your rheuma. Also glad that you've been feeling so much better.

    Izzy obviously had a wonderful time while your sister and her family visited, too! That tongue! ROFL! And that beautiful shot of Zander and Sophia just caught my heart. I can see the lovely adults they'll be one day in it.

    My best to you, as always. I hope your weekend will be pleasant, with little or no pain, and filled with much love and more laughter. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy! I'm glad to hear you're calm and relaxed and had such a great week. You deserve it big time and it makes me smile to know you're surrounded by people and animals who love and cherish you.

    I also wanted to pass along the Versatile Blogger award to you because I've loved reading your blog and you're a gem :) http://lovingwithchronicillness.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete