Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Self-Care with a Chronic Illness: Walk

It's Arthritis Awareness Month! This month I am challenging you to take a little time each day and practice better self-care. Each day in May, I plan to share one simple way you can show yourself some love and appreciation.

Walk. Personally, I believe walking is one of the greatest gifts our bodies have given us. It's a great way to gently move and can be done in a variety of ways.

  • Alone: let your mind go where it needs to go. So many of our problems are resolved on a walk.
  • Invite a friend: leaving the house to talk allows you to really focus on each other. 
  • Go as a group: I love when my whole family joins me for a walk and we end up breaking into various groups with multiple conversations happening. Plus, each person notices different things as we walk.
  • Take a pet: with my dog next to me, walks are a way of really being aware of my surroundings.
Many communities are aware that walking is a good way for people in improve both their mental and physical health and provide nature walks. Check out your local forest preserves if you are interested in a group outing. Also, check out MyFitnessPal's 10 Amazing Benefits of Walking.


1 comment:

  1. Better yet, hold hands. It is the better than almost anything, I mean maybe not the dog.

    ReplyDelete